WooCommerce is a popular open-source eCommerce platform designed for WordPress. It was first released in 2011 as a plugin that enables users to turn their WordPress website into a full-fledged online store.
Launched on September 27, 2011, the plugin quickly became popular for its simplicity to install and customize and free base product.
WooCommerce is now one of the most widely used eCommerce solutions, with over 4 million active installs. The platform is known for its ease of use, flexibility, and robust set of features, which include:
- Product management: Users can create and manage products, including physical products, digital downloads, and subscriptions.
- Order management: Users can track and manage orders, view customer details, and update shipping and payment information.
- Payment gateways: WooCommerce supports a variety of payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net, as well as offline payment methods like cash on delivery.
- Shipping options: Users can offer a range of shipping options, including flat rate, free shipping, and real-time shipping quotes.
- Tax calculation: WooCommerce includes built-in support for tax calculations, including automatic calculations for the United States, Canada, and the European Union.
- Themes and customization: Users can choose from a variety of free and premium themes, and customize the look and feel of their store using a range of customization options.
- Extensions and integrations: WooCommerce supports a wide range of extensions and integrations, including email marketing, CRM, and accounting software.
Overall, WooCommerce is a powerful and flexible eCommerce solution that provides users with the tools they need to create and manage an online store, all within the familiar WordPress platform.